Monday

Kayak [1999] The Singles


KAYAK
Formed - 1968
Disbanded - 1980


Biography by Paul Collins

With their instrumental prowess and keyboardist
Ton Scherpenzeel's facility at writing lyrics in English,
you might be forgiven for mistaking Kayak for a bunch of clever proggers from London.
But this Dutch band began in 1968 in the city of Hilversun,
where Schenpenzeel and drummer Pim Koopman attended a music conservatory.
After the addition of guitarist Johan Slager, bassist Cees van Leeuwen, and vocalist Max Werner,
the group solidified by 1972 and commenced recording.
Stylisically they featured the instrumentation and chops of progressive acts like Yes and Genesis,  but the pop song structures of Supertramp and the Alan Parsons Project; 
as time passed they increasingly favored the pop side of the equation.
Royal Bed Bouncer, the most even balance between these two styles,
was to be a commercial and artistic high point for the band.  They continued to meet with minor success throughout the seventies on a variety of record labels, and in 1974 toured in support of Queen-a move that influenced the flavor of their later work. 

Like most progressive bands,
Kayak never had a terribly stable lineup;
at one point they went through three bassists in as many years.
With Scherpenzeel as the sole constant, Kayak's first lineup also proved to be their finest;
but Koopman's asthma forced him to retire in 1976,
and Werner was so tortured by stage fright and unfounded doubts over his singing ability
that he demanded the vacated drum chair for himself,
leaving the vocals duties to new member Edward Reekers.
Scherpenzeel's central role in the band eventually wore on the others,
and Kayak fell apart in 1980.
Scherpenzeel continued on to work with the English band Camel
and now composes primarily for the theatre.
Koopman and Reekers work in music production and performance;
Werner left the stage to become a postal worker,
and van Leeuwen has become-of all things -- a prominent lawyer.
The band reunited in 1997 for a Dutch TV special, though no new recordings have yet emerged.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Kayak dibentuk 1968, di Hilversum oleh Ton Schenpenzeel & Pim Koopman.
Setelah Johan Slager (Guitar), Van Leeuwen (Bass), and Max Werner (Vocal) bergabung, Kayak mulai rekaman.
Walaupun secara instrument mereka seperti Band Progresive Yes maupun Genesis,
tetapi struktur lagu mereka adalah Pop seperti Supertramp atau Alan Parson Projects.



ini lagu yang kita kenal...


Ruthless Queen
(I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel)

With a quivering voice
You spoke the word
Shadow came between us
Sharp as a sword
Gone is my gladness
And vanished my pride
'Cause luck didn't stay on our side

Leaped in luxury
I cried for the moon
But the game is out
It all ended too soon
Awakening came as the belt from the blue
At last from a sheen to be true

CHORUS
Oh my ruthless queen
You would steal the treasure of my dream
It's the twinkle in your eyes
That took me by surprise
Oh my ruthless queen
I just can't accept our love has been

I bear you no malice
You show no remorse
Love is dead and gone
It was no endless source
Your sudden leave was the finishing stroke
Considering everything grow

CHORUS
Oh my ruthless queen
You would steal the treasure of my dream
It's the twinkle in your eyes
That took me by surprise
Oh my ruthless queen
I just can't accept our love has been

Please don't tell me you couldn't care less
Well I feel like a ship in distress

Oh my ruthless queen
I just can't accept our love has been




Kayak: The Singles
Release Date, 1999

Musicians:
Ton Scherpenzeel: Piano's, synths, organ, harpsichord, vocals, accordion
Pim Koopman: Drums, percussion, marimba, synthesizer, vocals
Johan Slager: Guitars, vocals
Max Werner: Mellotrons, percussion, vocals
Cees van Leeuwen: Bass guitar, harmonica
Bert Veldkamp: Bass guitar, harmonica
Charles Louis Schouten: Drums, percussion, marimba, vocals
Theo de Jong: Bass guitar
Edward Reekers: Lead vocals
Irene Linders: Vocals
Peter Scherpenzeel: Bass guitar, recorder
Katerine Lapthorn: Vocals
Skip Voodgd: Liner Notes


Tracks:
1. Lyrics (T. Scherpenzeel) [3:45] (1973)
2. Mammoth (P. Koopman, T. Scherpenzeel) [2:57] (1973)
3. See see the sun (P. Koopman, T. Scherpenzeel, C. Van Leeuwen) [4:13] (1973)
4. Wintertime (P. Koopman, C. Van Leeuwen) [2:53] (1974)
5. We are not amused (P. Koopman, T. Scherpenzeel) [2:59] (1975)
6. Chance for a lifetime (T. Scherpenzeel) [2:55] (1975)
7. Still my heart cries for you (P. Koopman) [4:32] (1976)
8. Do you care (P. Koopman) [2:49] (1976)
9. Starlight dancer (T. Scherpenzeel) [4:59] (1978)
10. Want you to be mine (T. Scherpenzeel) [3:40] (1978)
11. Ruthless queen (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [4:50] (1979)
12. Phantom of the night (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [5:07] (1979)
13. Anne (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [4:23] (1980)
14. Spetters (T. Scherpenzeel) [3:27] (1980)
15. Periscope life (T. Scherpenzeel) [3:31] (1980)
16. Total loss (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [4:12] (1980)
17. Seagull (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [4:08] (1981)
18. The king's enchanter (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [2:43] (1981)
19. Who's fooling who (I. Linders, T. Scherpenzeel) [3:44] (1981)
Bonus track
20. Max Werner: Rain in may (Meldom, Pilgram) [3:35] (1981)

   Jaman itu...   

   Song  1 ~ 10  

   Song  11 ~ 20  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment